Krispy Kreme Doughnuts remains committed to the goal of achieving 100% responsible sourcing of palm oil. Therefore, we require our shortening suppliers to be RSPO members and support the three fundamental principles of No Deforestation, No Development on Peat, and No Exploitation of People and Communities. Meeting this commitment requires our suppliers adhere to these main requirements:
- No development of High Carbon Stock forests
- High Carbon Stock (HCS) forests include: primary forests; high, medium and low-density forests; and regenerating forests. Golden Agri-Resources and SMART, in collaboration with Greenpeace and TFT, have developed and are testing a HCS framework and identification tool. Please read The High Carbon Stock Forest Study Report for more information. Krispy Kreme Doughnuts supports the multi-stakeholder scientific review process that is currently underway with HCS.
No development of High Conservation Value areas
- High Conservation Value (HCV) areas contain items of biological, social or cultural value that are important to conserve, including rare, threatened and endangered species and their habitats. Please visit the HCV Resource Network website for more information;
- No burning in preparation of land or in development;
- Progressively reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions on existing plantations from all sources;
- Only source from operations that comply with local, national and international laws;
- No development on peat;
- No development on peat areas regardless of depth;
- Best management practices for existing plantations on peat; and
- Respect and support the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Although Krispy Kreme Doughnuts does not source palm oil directly from palm mills / palm plantations, we will continue to work in tandem with our suppliers to ensure continued adherence to the above principals and standards. Our current efforts are focused exclusively on our shortening suppliers as they represent greater than 95% of our palm usage. We continue to work exclusively with the RSPO on our ongoing efforts to responsibly source 100% of our palm oil through a combination of RSPO certified segregated supply, RSPO mass balance mixed-source supply, and the purchase of GreenPalm/RSPO Book & Claim credits—a goal we completed globally starting in 2015. We continue to work with suppliers of indirect palm oil usage to understand their journey towards palm sustainability. We will continue regular communication with our suppliers to understand their progress to create a transparent sourcing network back to the plantation.